mercredi, août 19Top2043news.com

DRC:Ebola Response-Government Adapts School Reopening in High-Risk Areas

Spread the love

Kinshasa, August 19, 2026 (TOP243NEWS).- With the 2026–2027 school year set to begin in a few days, the Government of the Democratic Republic of Congo is putting in place a special mechanism to ensure the continuity of education in areas affected by the Ebola outbreak, while limiting the risk of virus transmission.

Presenting the government’s strategy during a special briefing hosted by Patrick Muyaya and featuring Education Minister Raïssa Malu and Minister of Public Health Dr. Roger Kamba on Tuesday, Education and New Citizenship Minister Raïssa Malu announced a differentiated school reopening, adapted to the level of risk in each area.

Three risk levels to organize the school reopening
The mechanism distinguishes between red, orange and green zones. In red zones, considered the areas most exposed to the outbreak, students will not be required to attend schools physically. The government plans to use distance learning in particular to maintain educational contact with learners.

However, the minister stressed an important distinction: distance learning should not be confused with online education, as the arrangements must be adapted to the realities and resources available in the areas concerned.

In orange and green zones, students are still expected to attend school, with strengthened prevention, awareness and health-monitoring measures.

“The objective is to keep the child in contact with school,” Raïssa Malu explained, noting that her ministry is working in close coordination with the Ministry of Health.

The mechanism will be reassessed periodically, particularly every four weeks, depending on developments in the epidemiological situation.
According to data presented during the briefing, 2,890 schools are located in areas affected by the health situation.

Government stresses transparency in Ebola response
Speaking during the same meeting, Minister of Public Health, Hygiene and Social Welfare Roger Kamba defended the transparency of the government and its partners in managing the Ebola response.

Three weeks after the outbreak was confirmed, the minister said the situation remained concentrated in several provinces, notably Ituri, North Kivu, Tshopo, Haut-Uele and Bas-Uele.

Roger Kamba also recalled that the national health system is not limited to treating Ebola, but must continue responding to all diseases affecting the country.

“We must be rigorous with the figures, but we must put them into perspective,” he said, while also stressing that no Ebola cases had been recorded in Kinshasa as of the time of his briefing.

Education and health coordinated in response to the outbreak
Through this approach, the government is seeking to reconcile two priorities: ensuring continuity of education while protecting students, teachers and communities from the epidemiological risk.

The strategy therefore relies on the continuous adaptation of measures according to developments in the health situation. The school reopening will not be uniform across the country, but rather adjusted according to the level of risk established by the authorities.

For the government, this coordination between the education and health sectors should help prevent a prolonged disruption to learning while strengthening prevention measures in schools.

TOP243NEWS | Information, analysis and in-depth coverage of Congolese and African current affairs.

%d blogueurs aiment cette page :